Thursday, July 12, 2012

East Asia || Day 1


Written somewhere in the air over the Yellow Sea around 9:00 am Korean Time - At 2:45 p.m. (CST) we met at DFW airport to get our bags checked and go through security. Everything went smoothly and then we waited around until about 4:45 when we boarded our flight for LAX. ICE CUBE was on our plane to LA! I totally made eye contact with him while Emma giggled behind me from nervousness and Alex snapped a picture. That plane ride went fairly smooth. There was an Australian family behind me. There was also a Hispanic couple next to me that only spoke Spanish - I accidentally squirted my water bottle on them while I was trying to open it, but they were asleep so they didn’t notice, thank goodness. We flew over lots of deserts and mountains and combinations of the two. I had a window seat, so it was nice to look at. About 6:15 (PST) we arrived at LAX and made our way across the street to the international terminal. We ate some tacos (pretty good, but no Tex-Mex J ) and hung out for a while before going through security. Nearly everyone in our group got pulled aside to have their bags re-checked. Mine was because I had several books stacked up in my backpack, but I had a nice conversation with the TSA agent and then went on my way. Once we were all through security, we began the long wait for our flight, which didn’t leave until 11:50 p.m. (PST). The international terminal seemed like a wasteland. There were hardly any places to buy things and with all the internationals, it seemed like we were already in a different country. I sat in a little corner by a “restricted access” door for about an hour so I could charge my phone. Eventually, it was time to get on the plane! The plane was super nice, and fairly roomy – maybe not 12.5 hours later, but still way more room than the LA flight. Stacey switched seats with me so I had a window seat! It was night the whole time we were traveling, which really helped because it was somewhat easier to sleep. Although I probably only slept about 4 hours total. I had taken a Benadryl because I have a bit of a cold/allergies. That also helped me sleep, but mostly I would feel like I had been asleep for hours, only to wake up and see that only 30 minutes had passed. I watched several movies on the plane – each seat had it’s own screen with lots of movie choices! After what seemed like a very long time, we arrived in South Korea! We went through security once more (where my bag had to be screened twice – darn books!) and then waited for our flight to our final destination! We arrived at 4:25 a.m. on July 12, so we never had a July 11th! The airport was pretty dead, but we walked around anyways – had to stretch after that long flight! We discovered that Korean airport bathrooms are really nice and classy – and kind of futuristic! Then we took advantage of the empty airport by stretching out and taking naps. We then got ready to board our last flight of the “day”! They served us a meal – which I wasn’t expecting, but it was really good! I had beef & noodles with snap peas & carrots. They also had something called “morning tofu”, which I did not eat despite its cute packaging. I also got some coffee in hopes of helping me not be so sleepy as we will be touring around this afternoon!

9:35 am (Korean Time) - Opened the airplane window and saw China for the first time. WOW! It was south of Beijing, somewhere around Baoding. Beautiful mountains. Instantly makes me think of Ancient China and all the people that have probably passed through those mountains. Makes me excited for China’s future. The whole time we were flying it was cloudy so I couldn’t see anything once we left Korea. Opened my window for a peak once we were over land again and WOW! I’m so tired, but just can’t stop looking!

Ephesians 6: "19 Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should."

No comments:

Post a Comment