Monday, July 23, 2012

East Asia || Day 12


7/23/12 – 1:10 p.m. – On the way back from camp, a boy not from the camp, but who I assume attends the university came up to me and said “Hello beauty, can I communicate with you?”. I was half startled/nervous and half wanting to laugh, but Grace and Bryan were with me so I was just kind of like “sure…”. He said “let me guess, you are from the United States. How do you feel about the current relationships with our two countries?”. I didn’t really know how to respond and Bryan and Grace said something to him in Chinese and then he said “ok, ok. But before I go, I’ve been looking at U.S. billboard. Number one song Call Me Maybe, so can I have your cell phone number?” HAHA I wanted to laugh so bad but I just said “sorry, I don’t have a phone that works here” and he rode away on his bicycle. It was so funny. But I was also a bit startled. But Grace held my hand and said everything would be fine  J And Bryan said that he just wanted to practice his English with me. Then they told me that now I had a funny story to tell all of my American friends J.

7/23/12 – 11:48 p.m. – I GOT TO SEND AN EMAIL TODAY. It took a long time to get on the internet, but I was so glad when I did. The girls worked so hard to get it to work! But it was also sad when I did, because I briefly saw that there had been some kind of shooting in Colorado. It was just a reminder that this world is not perfect and we need to be on guard even at home. I think I am going to miss the way of life though. Not having much internet (well, absolutely no internet) has been really nice. But I know that is more of a camp thing, and not really a this country thing.

Today was really fun! We had mutual appreciation tonight which is where everyone gets to say something nice that the other person has done for them and then give them a smiley face sticker! Everyone loved that! They all said that they loved my smile and that it made them feel welcome and joyful! J That really encouraged me to smile more at home. I often catch myself not being as joyful as I should be and hopefully after this experience I will J. After the mutual appreciation we all took pictures with the smiley face stickers all over us J THEN we had a dance party J They played some music and everyone made a train and went all around the room. They thought that was so fun! Then Jacob started yeling “one more song” when it was over. Emma and I joined him, and then all the Americans, and then all the students started shouting it, even though I don’t think they quite knew why! But Then they played the Cha-Cha Slide! It was hilarious to see them all doing it. Most of them had never heard/seen that song before! They had a blast!

I am going to miss all these students so much! But now there are only 3 more days. I’ve had that Pat Green song stuck in my head all day! I can’t believe it’s almost over! But also, I am so ready to go home and talk to everyone!

While I have been here I have really been having a passion for India. I was thinking about it a lot before I left, but while I have been here it has become more and more apparent. I think that will be my next stop and I’m excited to see what the future holds!

Also, I just want to mention this so I don’t forget: when they say “smile” it sounds like “smell” J. It’s so cute. They say “Your smell is so bright and white. I love it.” And “ Your smell brings me joy” or “your smell is like sunshine. I am so happy when you smell”. So cute. I’m glad my smile brings them happiness J

Acts 16: "40 After Paul and Silas came out of the prison, they went to Lydia’s house, where they met with the brothers and sisters and encouraged them. Then they left."

No comments:

Post a Comment